Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Help, Survey Studies, Poster Wants, Music Sheets Thread.
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
chrissygerraty
Account Disabled

Default Need help with my Master's thesis - how environment affects songwriting/recording

I'm going to soon start working on my Master's thesis, and as an Interior Design student with a background in music journalism, I've decided to combine the best of both worlds. I'm really fascinated with how musicians seek alternative environments to write/record music. I've noticed a trend in recent years of bands straying away from the confines of a huge, elaborate studio in Los Angeles and instead opting for a more untraditional place to work on their music.

Some examples that I've already found are...

*Grizzly Bear cut some Veckatimest tracks in old, weathered church in Brooklyn (the rest were recorded in the singer's house in Cape Cod)

* Death Cab for Cutie recorded some material for Plans in a barn at Longview Farms, North Brookfield, MA

*Mike Kinsella (Owen) records the majority of his music in the basement of his mom's house

*a fantastic Radiohead clip where Thom Yorke says "To me the environment in which one records is the only thing that matters..."

This is just a rough concept, it definitely needs to be tweaked and more defined. I am just fascinated with how musicians' creativity during the songwriting/recording process is influenced by where they are and choose to be. If you have any information or can point me to any articles/videos of bands talking about recording in an unconventional environment, I'd really appreciate the help!
chrissygerraty is offline   Reply With Quote