Music Banter - View Single Post - NND's take on Lebanese Music
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
NumberNineDream
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk

Default NND's take on Lebanese Music

As Ziad Rahbany is considered as the greatest living Arabic musician, I'll begin with him for now. So Ziad is Fairuz' son, and got firstly known for composing his mother's songs, after his father died (Assi Rahbany, the creator of Lebanese music), I'll just talk about the whole deal.

Ziad Rahbany

Starting off with Fairuz (formerly known as Nouhad Haddad). Well she never wrote songs, but her voice was the muse that inspired all the great writers and composers of this side of the world. She was married to Assi Rahbany, who was the one to revolutionize Lebanese music and put it in the same level as Egyptian music (with Oum Koulthoum mainly). He was the one to discover her talent, and together they were an unbeatable match, the head of Lebanese music. Until one day, her son Ziad Rahbany, the mix of these two artists, ran away from home and started his musical career. He revolutionized Lebanese music a second time, introducing Jazz to the mainly Folk compositions of the Rahbany family.

The first part would be, about the compositions he made for Fairuz, which he mixed the Classical/Folk Fairuz with his own version of Jazz.

I can't talk about Ziad, without talking about his cynical lyrics and the plays he wrote. As you won't understand much about the lyrics, I'll just move to the music in his plays, which was the second part of his career. He would always work with the late Joseph Sakr, and they'd be the two, with other usual actors, acting in this play. Then Sakr would sing on his oud, as part of the story, as he usually played the role of a "struggling artist".
Or you can enjoy the music at the beginning, the intermission, and the end of the play, that would also be composed by Ziad Rahbany, to become themselves classics.

The third part of his career, moving on to just composing studio albums. After Joseph Sakr died, Ziad continued to compose for other artists he would hand pick. The latest was Salma, an unknown artist that only sang on this album. She was picked for her unusual "un-tuned" voice. Have a listen, from the album Salma monodose

Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

Last edited by NumberNineDream; 01-13-2010 at 08:42 AM.
NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote