Music Banter - View Single Post - Play any instruments? *would you like to? (if you don't)
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #439 (permalink)
24Nathan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ
You sound like an elitest d-bag. If you think someone who just plays the drum-set isnt a musician your daft. Apparently you never got beyond playing a 4/4 beat to your power chording rock band.

According to you, if are an amazing saxophonist you suck because you cant play every other reed instrument. Its the same idea.
Whoa, you can judge me by one post. And create really bad logic that's only loosely based on what I meant/said.

Look at my post later in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Nathan
Never did I say that people who couldn't read music and know the fundamentals are bad players, I said I personally don't consider them musicians. Too many a time you find some dude who can play a simple two and four rock beat on a set or a few different chords on a guitar and they call themselves musicians. I don't find that true. Doesn't mean I'm gonig to condemn them for picking up the instrument and having a great time, though.

A percussionist, by the way, is somebody who is able to properly play a variety of percussion instruments, like keyboards, battery, and auxiliary. A drummer is a drummer, they can play a drum.

That wasn't elitism, just an opinion. Does that get my point across better?
If I pulled some random dude from the street and had him bang on a drum and play alternating quarters on a hi hat and snare, do you call him a musician? Once again, you (along with half of the people that replied to me) jumped the shark and assumed I meant the worst. I don't call someone who can strum two or so notes on a guitar, or make a noise on a trumpet, or bang sticks on a drum set a musician. Was that really that hard to comprehend?

I have absolutely no problem with someone being fluent in one instrument and not the entire family, I'm down with that. I personally know a freshman in my percussion section that thinks he's the coolest kid ever and he can barely keep a steady set of eighths. But he's having fun, and since music is for everyone, then he's automatically in the musician category, right? My bad, I forgot that I'm not allowed to have an opinion about who I consider a musician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwSugar
That's not true at all.
I play all percussion instruments except for the drumset, and I'm not sounding as pretentious as you are.
Everybody learns differently.
Of course it's preferred for musicians to be able to read, but you're telling me right now that every musician that can't read is hardly a musician?
Do you know how DIFFICULT it is to play a drumset?

I play mallets.
Four mallets, actually.
And drumset is too hard for me.

Do me a favour and remember that you're on a music forum.
With musicians of all sorts, probably better ones than you, and I bet you some of them can't read.
Really? Everyone with arms can play a drum, I guess they're all musicians. How did 'everyone learns differently' come into play? Again, you're jumping on the bandwagon and assuming things like it's in style (it seems to be around here). Where did I say that that every musician that can't read is hardly a musician? Please quote me, as I can't seem to dig through my lentghy ten post record or so and find the exact thing I said.

Again, had you given me the benefit of the doubt, you would've known I'm not confident about my music skill in the slightest, and I was talking about simple people who think they're studly because of the volume and speed they can play a drum, for example, without knowing how to read music or feel the beat, or even hold the stick, or even how adjust a music stand.

But all noobs are arrogant fools, aren't they?

Yes, I know how hard set is to play, which is why...

*GASP* (Is he really gonna say it?!)

I can't play anything complex on a drum set.

Hell, I can hardly play mallets, I have to write the notes in and practice a lot before I get the hang of it. Very pretentious to outright admit I haven't mastered two very important parts of percussion, isn't it?

Also, please tell me where I said I was the best ever in world history at playing drums. I don't remember that part of the conversation, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio
OOOooOOOOOooOHHHH SICK BURN!
...Seriously?

---------------------------------------------------

I'm willing to restart this whole thing if we can all just back off what you thought I said. I honestly apologize if you misjudged it, but I assure you it wasn't meant to sound so arrogant as you might've assumed.
24Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote