Music Banter - View Single Post - Love
Thread: Love
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 AM   #84 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
I take this as you don't believe that you can be in love with someone for a longer period of time. I guess I've always looked at the contrast between in love and love in an elementary manner. I related being in love with someone as something romantic and just plain loving someone as platonic or family-related. So, then, if romantic partners transition from being in love to just loving, is there a possibility of falling out of love?
In my experience, 333, the feeling of being "in love" with someone fades once I really know the person and the feeling of family love grows stronger. Once I know most of the person's thoughts, feelings, and experiences very well, the rush of feeling in love (of breaking down psychological barriers that make people strangers initially) diminishes. This isn't a bad thing, because it is part of being close friends.

If people never move beyond being "in love" and aren't prepared for the ho-hum feeling of long-term relationship love, then they may get disenchanted and start expecting (and looking for) the thrill of "falling in love" again. The way to inspire a little of the "in love" feeling again in a long-term relationship is to do new activities together...set up the situation so you have a chance to learn and appreciate something new about each other again.

About your feeling of love being a mystery...I don't feel it is a mystery. Take any two people, throw them together for a while, assume they are pretty decent to each other, and unless they plan to kill each other they will probably end up feeling love. Biological benefit: cohabitating humans who get along, forage together, share food, pay electricty bills, and protect their common territory have better chances of surviving to pass on the ability to "love" others to offspring.

Exactly *whom* (among all the strangers in the world) one "falls in love" with is more mysterious, I feel! I've been in quite a few relationships, but only two started with a feeling of being "in love." Looking back, I think what triggered the "in love" feeling that eventually developed was that I thought those people were especially physically attractive...I admired them *a lot* physically as well as personality-wise. Feeling "in love" with someone isn't a prerequisite for forming a loving, long-term relationship...although the feeling of "being in love" is nice to have, when it happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seussicide View Post
If it's one thing I've learned is that love, much like intelligence, simply cannot be defined. Nothing in life will ever baffle me more than the most fucked up permutation of those four letters of the English language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
A four letter word has 24 permutations.
Hmmm...now which of the 24 seems most bizarre:
love, loev, lvoe, lveo, levo, leov, olve, olev, ovle, ovel, oevl, oelv, vole, voel, vloe, vleo, velo, veol, eovl, eolv, evol, evlo, elvo, elov.

My vote for the most fucked-up permutation of those four letters of the English language is "evol."
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote