Music Banter - View Single Post - Nirvana
Thread: Nirvana
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
You have a wonderful sense of life. Also, I would agree with your Nirvana and death comparison. Nirvana is basically the death of the mind. Lower your standards and values to a point where you will have none. You will be happy in your ignorance.
Basically the issue here is the inherent duality involved in values. For instance, I have just entered into a debate with you, against my own conscience, with the intention of having you, and anyone else who reads this post, value my post as being true, and to reshift their value system to say that your post is not necessarily false, but doesn't quite grasp the Buddhist drive behind nirvana. That is, the concept of nirvana says that this is the wrong state of things. We should not be arguing. There is no reason for one of us to be saying things that are wrong and another one of us to be saying things that are right. By entering into this conversation, we are necessarily going to generate suffering. Either one of us is going to realize he was wrong, and either feel stupid or try to cover it up and drag themselves further into a hopeless position, or we'll both just stick to our own positions, feel that we're right, but still feel frustrated that we couldn't get the other to switch over to our side. The idea is, further, that this entire mode of valuation, of seeing certain things as good and others as bad, certain things as right and others as wrong, is in fact a mode of being which we are trapped by because we identify with it. And therefore, letting go of this mode of being seems synonymous to us with death.

And of course, it doesn't make much sense for me to say anything beyond this, because as I said, we are in a debate, and obviously in the mode of valuation. I am trying to construct meaning. The meaning I specifically was trying to construct with this thread was that for a moment, I experienced a different mode of being, one in which everything was free to simply be, and did not have to be good or bad, this or that, a fan of this band, this sexual lifestyle, this religion, this philosophy, this species... Of course, the way I am trying to construct this meaning is entirely impossible. The sort of meaning I am making now is meaning as opposed to meaninglessness--in this other mode, I could be typing gibberish and it would be just as meaningful, for the simple fact that I was typing it. I don't know if this post is useful or if it makes sense, I don't know if I'm helping myself or anyone else. But, in that moment, the only desire I had was to help other conscious beings experience the bliss that I felt. I realized that life did have a meaning, that, because everything is simply consciousness, the entire point of life is to bring all consciousness to its most ecstatic state--which is not its egotistical peak, when it can get all other consciousnesses to recognize how brilliant it is (which I am still implicitly trying to do here) but rather, when it becomes free to let go of this desire, and simply be, simply realize that all its attempts to grasp itself are the result of itself overflowing, beautifully, magnificently. I hope this helps you.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote