Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #131 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained Ballad View Post
Well, this thread made me want to check out Elvis Costello.
And i've got to say, I've been listening to Trust today, and I have no regrets.
I'll have to give it a lot more listens, but i liked the dancing beat in Clublands and the Lover's Walk. I also enjoyed You'll Never Be A Man, Shot With His Own Gun (sounds very "poet like" to me for some reason), Fish 'N' Chips Paper, Gloomy Sunday (great song, great lyrics) and Boy With A Problem.
I can't believe i missed this great artist/lyricist. Looking forward to check out more of his work, although i want to find more gems in this one...i mentioned few highlights. I can't believe the only thing i knew from him was a version of She...
Ironically (or perhaps not, seeing as I'm a nasty old musical elitist), despite it being quite possibly his most popular song, I absolutely despise the man's version of She. I've never really liked most of Costello's attempts to be a torch singer. Almost Blue (the song), Shot With His Own Gun and a couple of decent tracks on North aside, whenever he tries it out by himself it always comes off as a bit boring He pulls that vibe off superbly over most of Painted From Memory with Burt Bacharach though.

On another note, good man for picking up Trust. Such a fantastic album, and definitely one more people need to know about. It was actually the first album of his that convinced me that there's so much more to the guy than his first three albums. It's just packed full of wonderful songs - White Knuckles and New Lace Sleeves are a couple of my favourite ever songs, never mind on that album. The Sad About Girls outtake is sheer bliss too. Either way, great to hear you're digging the guy - I love it when this thread actually fulfills its purpose

By the way, the DVD review I promised is coming up soon. I survived about six hours of pub golf last night, so consequently I'm in no state to type up reviews and all that stuff.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote