Music Banter - View Single Post - Berry Weight - Music for Imaginary Movies (2009)
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
stopher723
Groupie

Default Berry Weight - Music for Imaginary Movies (2009)

I just finished my review of Berry Weight's new album, Music for Imaginary Movies, which comes out on January 19. (I got a promo copy from Berry Weight). Here's what I think...

One of my favorite iTunes playlists is titled “Mind Numbing”. What does that mean? I find a collection of songs that have a certain ethereal quality to them, few, if any, have words. Some examples are “Light Through the Veins” by Jon Hopkins and “Exhibit 13″ by Blue Man Group. Berry Weight’s new album, Music for Imaginary Movies, could make a mind numbing playlist of its own with its electronic sound and Theremin-like instrumentation.

Each track features electronic atmospheres with turntable melodies and, for the most part, no words. The first track on the album, “Cowboys and Indians” begins almost perfectly with a relaxing fifteen second introduction. Unfortunately, it’s interrupted by an abrupt melodic entrance. Don’t worry though. Bliss returns around thirty seconds later when a relaxing acoustic guitar plunks out the melody.

The next notable track on the new album is “Equations”, which features the jazzy vocals of Astrid Engberg. This track immediately made my “Mind Numbing” playlist. After “Equations” finishes, it’s easy to get lost in the album and confused about which track is which. Berry Weight achieved a nearly seamless transition between each song, creating a pleasing blend of melodies. However, this makes each track less memorable. One recording does stick out from the remaining eight that follow “Equations”. “Walking By Your Side”, compared to the other instrumentals on the track, differs the most and has a calming essence to it.

Music for Imaginary Movies is well worth a preview and downloading a portion of the album will set you a back just a few dollars. If you buy the whole album, you might find that you could have achieved the same results with only three or four songs.

If you're not into the electronic type of music, you should probably pass...