Music Banter - View Single Post - Preferred Format for Music
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
noise
thirsty ears

digital all the way.

i don't like vinyl. it sounds too soft and muffled to me, especially since a lot of the music i listen to started life as digital sounds anyway. cds sound good, but they're cumbersome, prone to scratches, and you can really only put on one at a time.

but with digital music, you can shuffle across hundreds of albums at once. and you can organize your collection in a thousand different ways. you can instantly find any track, artist, album, or whatever else you seek. you can rate tracks, embed (and search) lyrics, add comments... you can keep track of how many times you've listened to a song, and when you last heard it. you can analyze the sound volume of tracks, and apply non-destructive gain on a track level or on an album level.

and don't even get me started on playlists! a few clicks and i can queue up all tracks with the genre tag "electronic" and the style tag "trip hop" that have a rating of 4 or more stars. try that with vinyl!

plus, you can fit thousands of albums in the space of a few jewel cases. then you can dump a few hundred of them onto a pocket-sized player to take with you wherever you go.

it's really no contest...