Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #1093 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

This one's from good old Story. So, here it is; belated review from the last trade #1...

For about 6, 7, 8 or however many years it was ago when I actually used to take music TV semi-seriously, this was all I'd seen and heard of this album...

Pretty nice clip and that, and the old Fred Durst impression's good stuff too. To put it simply though, this album's been more or less in the back of my head ever since I first saw the above promo on TV, and it's one I would've got for myself all those years ago were it not for the fact that I had lots of other random crap to raid HMV for. So this one's been on the back burner until it was mentioned as per this whole weekly trade thing that's been going down around here. Needless to say, I was happy to take it on.

To be honest, I wasn't really expecting too much that was at all spectacular, so this album served as one of those really nice pleasant surprises that new music can give you every now and then. It wouldn't have been bad for this trade we're currently in the middle of either - the whole thing as a unit of work has a very light-hearted and kinda uplifting feel about, seeing as it's full of great, punchy, melodic little songs. In a way, it wasn't really spectacular as I'd expected in the sense that this is what I'd call a spectacular song but, as I'm sure a lot of us know, that's very rarely a bad thing. Well, alright, it's quite often a bad thing. I mean, how many songs have you ever heard that just do nothing for you, are about as edgey as a satsuma and do absolutely nothing to stand out with an identity of their own? Of course, that's not a criticism I'd level at Ben Folds here even in the slightest sense. What I've just finished listening to for the second time is a very catchy, infectious and memorable little album, great to just kick back to when you feel like letting relative simplicity do the talking. Catchy, melodic, pretty funny in places too, not to mention an album with a very consistent level of quality to it, to the point that I can't actually pick out a below-par song from it.

When all's said and done, this is great stuff. Cheers Story, I'll be giving this a few more goes in future Glad you dug my album too.

I'll get the review of Lateralus' album up in the very near future too.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote