Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #5078 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post

the Cell (2000)
Tarsem Singh would later go on to direct the Fall, which I haven't seen but remember Marijan trumpeting on here a while back, and after viddying the Cell for the first time in a good 7 years I am intrigued by this guy's style. Cell is essentially a beautifully designed thriller/sci-fi/horror in the Se7en mold. Jenny Lopez (back before she had dedicated her acting career exclusively to sickly romcoms) is only semi-believable as a hot Latina psychiatrist who has to use a magical gizmo that is never really explained to dive into the subconscious of a comatose serial killer in order to find out where he is stashing his last victim for whom time is rapidly running out *deep breath*. Sounds 'meh'? The OTT gore and acts of sado-masochism feel very late 90s to me and for some reason made me nostalgic for what was an utterly rubbish time... but it's good fun and combined with the amazing set/costume design and dreamlike quality to the 'mindmeld' scenes made for a diverting couple of hours. The pic above depicts my favourite un-nerving bit and one of the only really genuinely surreal moments. DIG?!!
I've actually always though this was a pretty good movie, and I agree that it has some great costume and set design. I wasn't disappointed with it when I first saw it, but haven't given it a view in a long time. I do remember thinking that Vincent D'Onofrio did a great job playing sick and twisted.