Music Banter - View Single Post - right wing punk?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
^

punk gained popularity through its politics. especially left-wing (oh god i hate saying left and right wing) "politics". i just think punk celebrating the government is a paradox...i don't know how else i would describe it other than listening to it would severely upset me.

its like christian death metal...sure you CAN do it...but why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
The whole punk era actually started protesting against the policies of a left wing government.
heeeeeere's the thread.

Should Punk have an ideological starting point that it works from? Is minimalism that base? is the DIY ethic that so permeates the genre the political equivelent of independance, freedom, or non-intervensionist governemnt? Is the ragged every-man image a stance on the struggle between the filth at the bottom and the rot at the top?

I think this is one of the more interesting threads on the boards in awhile, even as I'd hope that politic and policy remain largely outside of the discussion.

Can punk ever agree with something? or does it work anathma to any going trend. Assuming of course that whatever politicans are doing is screwing the little guy.