Music Banter - View Single Post - Modest Mouse
Thread: Modest Mouse
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #512 (permalink)
Violent & Funky
FUNky

Quote:
Originally Posted by million dollar basher View Post
I agree that their early material was great in that it showed an unbelievable amount of promise, especially from Brock. But I think that "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" was the summation of all that potential. The production value of the album was superior to anything they'd ever churned out, yet the integrity of the tracks themselves weren't compromised in the slightest. The content retained Brock's trademark brand of cynical misanthropic mean-heartedness, but the songs offered a maturity that the earlier albums lacked. Beyond that, the album feels like every solitary member of MM was acting with a collective goal in mind, whereas in previous albums ("This is a Long Drive" and "Everywhere and His Nasty.." and especially "The Moon and Antarctica") the vast majority of the emphasis rested on experimenting with sonic ideas.

That being said, some of the early albums are personal favorites of mine, especially when I feel like taking an emotional journey back to my high school days (haha) but I feel that "Good News" was their strongest album to date.
I couldn't have stated it any more perfectly myself. Thank you for that...
Violent & Funky is offline   Reply With Quote