Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #155 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
(1967)

Tracks

1 She Has Funny Cars 3:13
2 Somebody to Love 3:01
3 My Best Friend 3:04
4 Today 3:02
5 Comin' Back to Me 5:24
6 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds 3:45
7 D.C.B.A. -25 2:39
8 How Do You Feel 3:34
9 Embryonic Journey 1:55
10 White Rabbit 2:33
11 Plastic Fantastic Lover 2:40

Jefferson Airplane were one of the first of those marvellous Californian outfits to gain some form of national recognition back in the mid sixties, along with San Fransisco stalwarts like The Grateful Dead. But these San Fransisco bands were much more than a genre wave, they were originally right at the forefront of the expansion of folk music, taking this form of oldie worldie music and kicking it into the sphere of rock, helping create the genre better known as Americana. Yet Jefferson Airplane are still better known as a Psychedelic band first and foremost.

Jefferson Airplane's follow up to their debut 1966 "Take Off" album, was released in the early part of 1967 on the RCA Label entitled Surrealistic Pillow. At its core was a well crafted, well forged link between Folk Rock and Psychedelia, which would ultimately form the soundtrack to the Summer of Love for San Francisco and probably for the rest of the world too.

The first Jefferson Airplane album was heavily influenced by front man Marty Balin, but with Surrealistic Pillow, the song writing duties were well and truly shared out between the band. These songs are all underpinned by the excellent work of producer Rick Jerrard, who curbed Jefferson Airplane's tendency to drift musically and got them instead to create wonderful 3-4 minute classics. Maybe this was not to the taste of some Airplane enthusiasts, but I love the combination of sharp songs with the trippyness of it all, quite a feat for the period.

Another noticeable difference between Jefferson Airplane debut and the Surrealistic Pillow album was the inclusion of Grace Slick into the line up, replacing Signe Anderson, who left the band to raise a family. Grace came from other San Francisco stalwarts The Great Society; she came with some new songs and an unmistakeable powerful voice. It should be said that Anderson too when given the chance could belt out a few notes, like with the song Chauffeur Blues for example. But Slick, certainly on Surrealistic Pillow anyway, stepped into the band like she owned the joint.

This is by far Jefferson Airplane's finest hour, songs like the beautiful Embryonic Journey, mixed in with powerful Grace Slick performances on White Rabbit and Somebody to Love, with a dash of Marty Balin on songs like Plastic Fantastic Lover, and combining all of the above with the brilliant 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds, this release really is a quality piece of work, which must truly match any tangible landmark San Francisco can offer................and I'm talking to you Golden Gate Bridge.

Although Jefferson Airplane had at least three more quality albums in their repertoire by 1970, ultimately I don't think they ever topped this album in their golden spell era. This is not only a bookmark on popular culture from 1967; it is also a pretty brilliant album too, which can only mean that you should own it. Buy it now.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote