Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #3039 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSTANToblivion View Post
Unfortunate to hear that Bulldog. Even though a venue might be smaller sometimes I find it makes the atmosphere even better. I mean like a smaller, more intimate music session played to a select few. I guess it depends on who you want to go see for the type of venue really. Truthfully, though I know a lot of people enjoyed the first Grinderman album, I couldn't find anything I liked on it. I dunno whether it was just too 'out there' for me but I prefer the more haunting side of Nick Cave...
But that being said I love Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! - which i've been told by some that it sounds more like a Grinderman album without the obscenities?
Smaller places do have a better and more intimate atmosphere, can agree on that one. When I was living in Scotland a couple of years back I had this regular haunt called the Tunnels where all the more obscure artists would play that couldn't have been any bigger than the trailer on your average cargo lorry (hell, it was probably even smaller than that), and they always made for such a great time. A lot of the best gigs I've ever been to were at that venue.

And, yeah, Dig Lazarus Dig is basically a cleaned-up version of the Grinderman album, with much more piano and violin thrown in to make it sound more Bad Seeds-ish. From what I've heard the new Grinderman album (they still haven't released many details about it, such as what it'll be called and so on) will sound a lot more like a Bad Seeds album, which should be pretty interesting. As I say, can't bloody wait for it to come around.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote