Music Banter - View Single Post - Distant Music Suggestions and Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
DiSTANToblivion
Music Addict

Default Trying my best at an Album Review... :-S

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind
(2009)

DISC 1:
1./ Overture / Whirlwind (9:54)
2./ The Wind Blew Them All Away (6:10)
3./ On the Prowl (6:03)
4./ A Man Can Feel (6:35)
5./ Out of the Night (4:22)
6./ Rose Colored Glasses (7:54)
7./ Evermore (4:10)
8./ Set Us Free (5:03)
9./ Lay Down Your Life (5:11)
10./ Pieces of Heaven (2:17)
11./ Is It Really Happening? (8:11)
12./ Dancing with Eternal Glory / Whirlwind (Reprise) (12:04)
DISC 2:
1./ Spinning (9:58)
2./ Lenny Johnson (4:20)
3./ For Such A Time (5:23)
4./ Lending a Hand (8:43)
5./ The Return of the Giant Hogweed (8:26)
6./ A Salty Dog (4:59)
7./ I Need You, Pt. 1 & Pt. 2 (4:39)
8./ Soul Sacrifice (10:00)

Transatlantics last.fm page

Okay so I thought I'd change things up just a bit for now. Here is something I've only recently brought but I think needs a mention in this journal. This is Transatlantics new one 'The Whirlwind'... The word 'epic' gets thrown around a lot, it's often misused too. With this album I have to say that it is one time that epic is fully deserving of it's place.

After co-founder of Transatlantic Neal Morse (Spocks Beard) became a born again christian he decided he would venture into christian rock. This unfortunately meant the end of both Spocks Beard and Transatlantic with Morse, however he and other co-founder Mike Portnoy (of Dream Theater) both decided to get back together and form Transatlantic for one more album - 'The Whirlwind'. It was something that Transatlantic fans were longing to hear, intrigued by what the progressive supergroup would produce next...

'The Whirlwind' is an album that loves all of it's former influences and pays homage to them. Bands like Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, Led Zepplin and even The Beatles all can be felt throughout it's 77 minute long journey. That's right, 'The Whirlwind' is not an album divided up with various tracks for you to sift through, it is a 77 minute-long song that is best appreciated from start to finish. There are no real breaks in the flow of the album overall and it plays beautifully right from the opening Overture to the stunning Finale. A lot of people would hear the length of the album and be put off initially. I have to say that you really, really need to have an understanding and appreciation for all things Prog before you sit down to take 'The Whirlwind' in. Saying that this one, 77 minute-long masterpiece is to be taken as a whole also makes it hard to pick out a highlight, the whole thing really shines and is a highlight altogether. On my first listen I was blown away (no pun intended) by 'Rose Colored Glasses' and if I was forced to pick only one song to highlight the album I would choose that.

Every band member gets to do what they do best here and are all having fun crafting this amazing nostalgic marvel. Even as 'The Whirlwind' pays tribute to former bands it never feels tied down by their sound, it feels fresh still, just with an oldschool flair. I will give extra kudos to Portnoys drumming on this album (even though he is always fantastic), opening the album the way he does is a great listen.

There is a 2nd Disc in the Special Edition release with new original music and some great covers, so definately check that out as well (and that is a whopper of a disc too, with a length of close to an hour).

So take a an epic, progressive, nostalgic journey into the heart of 'The Whirlwind' and prepare to get blown away...
...and then fly on back to hit repeat

9.5/10

Last edited by DiSTANToblivion; 02-18-2010 at 07:49 AM.
DiSTANToblivion is offline   Reply With Quote