Music Banter - View Single Post - Who's going to see Avatar?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #243 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Avatar is like really good junk food. Somewhere someone's using their amazing skills to make truly marvellous and original food, but a lot of people will be more than happy if they get a very good yet totally unoriginal burger whose main flavours come from such clichès as fat, ketchup, sugary loaf and and some salt. It's familiar, uncomplicated, quick and it tastes good.

Sometimes, people want olds rather than news. Sometimes you want to watch movies like Die Hard or True Lies where the bad guys are one dimensional, the plot is not too hard to follow and the action is rather spectacular. That doesn't mean you'll be permanently turned off the more intelligent stuff and I don't think it'll harm the industry in any way.

Clichès are not going to go away. They'll be recycled over and over again .. If you think Avatar's plot today is "old", think about how old those clichès will be when they're used in movies 40 years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I had wondered how well the anti-military element of the movie, in which humans are the bad guys, would go over with the U.S. public. Apparently quite well. Since I usually think people are pro-human above all else, this was a nice surprise.
It wasn't the military in the movie though. It was a mercenary army hired by the corporation whose number 1 priority on Pandora of course was to make money .. even if that means killing the indigenous people there. The way I saw it, in general terms - it was more a criticism of capitalism.

(and of course how people have treated indigenous peoples and so on, yadda yadda)