Music Banter - View Single Post - Nirvana
Thread: Nirvana
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
oh, then I didn't mean to use that phrase.
I consider that the thumb is distinct from the finger because they differ both in form and function. The fingers have intermediate phlanges that the thumb lacks and the thumb is opposable, too. I always thought that together (thumb and fingers) are called digits.
Jeebus, man .. Somewhere at some point in time, did you take a course in how to nitpick and pursue off-topic details in discussions? I write one post and you latch on to the details of an illustrative example and turn it into a discussion which has nothing to do with the main topic of the thread.

Suffice to say in Norway we regard the thumb to be a finger. That's where I come from and that's what I'm used to. A finger is simply what we call digits on the hand just like toes are digits on your feet. I know this definition exists in english as well - for example, I can easily find it on dictionaries and on wikipedia - and whether you're a follower or not, I don't care. However, I do think that because the word finger in english very well can apply to the thumb, you have little reason to nitpick or correct.

I think you should focus your attention more on the overall content and message of the posts.