Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #2256 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Next up!

Nominated by Dieselboy

Beastie Boys

Starting off as a hardcore punk outfit in NY, Michael Diamond (Mike D), Adam Yauch (MCA), and Adam Horovitzand (Ad-Rock), originally toured the scene and opened for impressive names such as The Misfits and Dead Kennedy's. All this changed suddenly though in the early 80's, when they teamed up with Def Jam's Rick Rubin. Becoming a three man rap group with punk leanings, they released the legendary album Licensed To Ill. With songs like; Fight For Your Right, No Sleep Till Brooklyn, and Brass Monkey, they climbed the charts, were labeled as a "White Run D.M.C.", and became a hero to frat-boys across the nation.

The years that followed have seen the Beastie Boys constantly staying busy and evolving, while releasing hit after hit. Albums like the sample-heavy Paul's Boutique landed at #156 on Rolling Stone's top albums of all time list, and the incredibly eclectic Ill Communication features one of the single greatest songs ever in Sabotage. It was actually around this time that nu-metal was taking form, and they were in fact accused by some to be a main influence. This idea was shunned by the Beastie's in song, with the lyric, "Created a monster with these rhymes I write, goatee metal rap please say goodnight." They have since moved on to different sounds, with more recent works being more straightforward hip-hop and DJ influenced.

Honestly, I think the three albums discussed above make the Boys worthy of nomination, but they've continued to evolve and release great music even up to the present. They play many of the instruments on their albums and in live shows, and are also one of the longest running acts in the history of hip-hop (nearly twenty-five years). When you look at everything they've done, I think it's a no-brainer.

Oh yeah...and their video's are f*ckin cool as well.