Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #3110 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
Have you heard Sufjan Stevens' "Seven Swans"? It's a similar listening experience to Either/Or, but the subject matter is a lot less grim and sad

Love them both.
i haven't heard that...i'll have to check it out. thanks for the rec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
And this is precisely why Sufjan's music will never even come close to as good as Elliott's - it's all about the feeling/motivation/psychology behind the music. Very few indie-poppers will ever be as good as ES, including SS until he suffers some kind of serious mental breakdown. Even then I have my doubts. Smith was one of a kind in my book - it's a shame that he ever succumbed to fame's call and became a sub par Beatles imitator. I may have stabbed him in the heart myself when he stopped making great music.
i wouldn't be able to compare since i've never heard sufjan stevens...but i do agree that it would be hard imagining anyone coming close to elliott smith. i'm not sure if i agree with your opinion on his studio days...figure 8 was weak, sure...but xo was amazing to me. i honestly can't count from a basement on a hill since it was finished up by other people...and according to many people close to elliott he would not have approved of the finished product. so...one weak album...i can deal with that.