Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #574 (permalink)
Petula07
♫ Music 'n' Sun ♫

Marillion - beginner's guide

Marillion are a rock band formed in Aylesbury, England (1979) often categorized as neo-progressive. They originally started as “Silmarillion” (from Tolkien’s book) with heavy influences from classic Genesis but went on to develop their own distinctive sound. They recorded sixteen studio albums but they are devided into two eras with two different leaders - Fish (four albums 1982-1988) and Steve Hogarth (1989 till nowadays).
Now members of Marillion are Steve Hogarth (vocals, lyrics, keyboards, percussions), Steve Rothery (electric and acoustic guitars), Mark Kelly (keyboards, samples, programming), Pete Trewavas (bass guitars) and Ian Mosley (drums).

Yes, I know, Marillion fans are divided into some groups - lot of people prefer only era with Fish, some people era with Hogarth and some people (like me) like both eras.
I read some arguments that without Fish, Marillion lost his individuality. Some people think that with Hogarth their sound is more like pop. Well, it depends who listen to it. I love progressive rock but I like also some pop. But the most important thing for me are emotions during listening. And I feel emotions from both singers
So if somebody here doesn't know Marillion, here are songs of both eras. Try to listen to all of them and than you will have your own true how it is with Marillion.

marillion.com | The Official Marillion Website | ...a better way of life

You can download introduce album "Crash Course" for FREE from this page - Crash Course by Marillion

Here is list of my music for beginners...

Fish era
01 Script For A Jester's Tear (Script For A Jester's Tear - 1982)
02 Assassing (Fugazi - 1984)
03 Kayleigh (Misplaced Childhood - 1985)
04 Lavender (Misplaced Childhood - 1985)
05 Incommunicado (Clutching at Straws - 1987)
06 Sugar Mice (Clutching at Straws - 1987)

Hogarth era
01 Easter (Season's End - 1989)
02 The Space (Season's End - 1989)
03 No One Can (Holidays in Eden - 1991)
04 Hard as Love (Brave - 1994)
05 The Great Escape (Brave - 1994)
06 Afraid Of Sunlight (Afraid Of Sunlight - 1995)
07 The Invisible Man (Marbles - 2004)
08 Don't Hurt Yourself (Marbles - 2004)
09 Neverland (Marbles - 2004)
10 This Train Is My Life (Happiness Is The Road - 2008)
11 Hard as Love (acoustic version - Less Is More - 2009)

These tracks aren't from all discography, it's just only something to show you favourite songs of Marillion fans. This is my favourite band but I can say that I didn't get into them after listening of best of albums (Best of both worlds or Made again). I think this band needs all studio album to catch you.
My two favourite albums are Brave and Marbles. From Fish era it's Clutching at Straws.

"Listen. Find out for yourself. Make up your own mind."

(PS - In case link doesn't work, write me message, I will repare it.)

Last edited by Petula07; 01-29-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Petula07 is offline   Reply With Quote