Music Banter - View Single Post - The Myth of Objectivism
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
noise
thirsty ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
The fact that we can not go beyond metaphors such as "carrying" a signal should not suggest that we are ultimately incapable of understanding physical reality except to the extent in which it relates to us, but that we can ultimately not go beyond the experience of "carrying," because there is nowhere beyond our experiences to go to.
well said and absolutely true. and yet you suggest we go beyond our experiences and use basic-level metaphors such as our conceptual understanding of internal states in order to provide a foundation for the bizarre happenings of the quantum world. layer cake style. but i'm not sure this is something everyone is capable of doing.

i'm no physicists, so the example i gave here come from my limited understanding of the subject, which is taken from popular books which are themselves filled with metaphors and dumbed-down explanations. but is it not true that physics has reached the point where people can describe things mathematically which they absolutely cannot understand, even on a very abstract metaphorical level?