Music Banter - View Single Post - J.D. Salinger's Death and the rights to his work...
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
NumberNineDream
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Well that is precisely why Salinger became a recluse. Because after publishing Catcher he decided that he no longer wanted to share any more of his work, and he just wanted to continuing writing purely for himself. So he kept everything following that novel to himself. But now after his death, his private writings will no doubt be sought after and published in a series of lucrative formats. Which is the whole pinpoint of the controversy surrounding his death - he wanted to keep these works private but no doubt they'll surface now.

As for the whole movie thing, the main point is not whether people should be allowed to use his art to reproduce other adaptations, but the point that people are taking advantage of his death to make money and to do so.
I don't really care about the money, and I would prefer if his works were published. I'm sorry, but all the worthy artists have a hint of self-destruction implanted in them. So if we'll ever need to know what they did, we have to wait till they die and act against their will.

Kafka wanted his friend to burn all his works (luckily his friend wasn't as dumb as him), and Francis Bacon decided he'll just destroy himself his paintings (and luckily, he only destroyed half)... and I'm here talking about my favourite author, and my favourite painter.

So I say, I hope they do publish everything.
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote