Music Banter - View Single Post - Power supply for pedal boards
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

i'd never heard of 1 Spot prior to this thread but it sounds like an awesome little product. $35 for a combo pack to power 8 pedals!!! hell yes! i would have loved to have a pair of these for the old jam room.

as for the buzzing - as +81 said above pedal placement in the chain matters, same with the cables you use and their length. what kind of guitar are you using with a super buzzy pickup? i'm assuming strat style with single coils and no options to toggle between two to cancel out the hum. on the other hand if you already have something with humbuckers then the issue isn't the pickup and more likely to be wiring.

try this for an easy test to find the biggest source of buzzing. setup your rig like normal then pinch/shake the cables gently as you check through the full line. there will likely be a weak input jack or cable end somewhere along the way. if it's due to corrosion it's a simple fix - fine grade sandpaper wrapped around a pencil, just stick it in there and give it a few spins and it'll be shiny as new and the connection will be cleaner. if it's wire based then you'll have to open the end of the cable and work on your soldering skills, it's not a complicated circuit but at the same time if you've never soldered it's easy to turn it into a silvery mess.

the other option is to try shielding your cable connections. this is more for the kind of buzzing that's due to radio interference but again, super simple fix, if you don't mind looking totally paranoid. tin foil and it works. just use a square foot of the stuff to wrap each end of your cables and input connectors. it's a little unsightly but it will cut out significant amounts of radio interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,

Last edited by mr dave; 01-30-2010 at 03:42 PM.
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote