Music Banter - View Single Post - Audacity
Thread: Audacity
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourmeanother View Post
Figured I'd post my Audacity related question here... Trying to rip some backing tracks out of songs, but when I do it I'm still getting faint audio. Not sure if there's a way to fix it - may be s.o.l. - but thought I'd ask before I give up.

For my first one, a test, I took MF DOOM's "Rapp Snitch Knishes", split the stereo track, inverted the right (bottom) track, set both to mono, exported to mp3 (merges tracks to one), opened it back up and used the 'amplify' effect to reduce the dB to -5.0... and yet, still can hear faint vocals playing in the final project.

Any other tricks?
I assume you've been reading about frequency cancellation on the web.
You've obviously been experiencing the realities of how this does not work in the context of a full mix. People don't obtain true a cappellas or instrumentals that way. What you're trying is a theoretical work-around that doesn't produce usable results.
Due to the broad frequency spectrum that most instruments share with the vocal range in context with most mixes, you're not going to be able to isolate one or the other without completely de-voiding one or the other's needed frequencies unless there are very special circumstances in regards to how the track is mixed.

I'm not totally sure of what you're trying to achieve, but if it's worth anything, I think it's at least worth mentioning.