Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Education in Public Schools
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Default Music Education in Public Schools

If you watched the Grammys last night, you may have seen some self-righteous suit proclaiming, amongst other things, that this should be the year we have full and total music education in our public schools.

While I'm offput that this is a priority for them, as many American public schools in the lower-income states don't have up-to-date books or qualified teachers, I wondered if education is anything we even want in public schools.

I speak as someone whos had both public school education and private lessons and in my opinion musical education in public schools is not worth it. Its basic note reading that would cost less, and be far more directed with flashcards at home, or with the practical application of an instrument in private.

The idea that teaching the general public what a staff is, even as many guitar players (America's most popular selling instrument) can't read music, and if they can't do apply it to the trade of playing guitar. (obviously its mostly tab, chords, or playing by ear).

I'm aware I'm attempting to rationalize what rich people feel poor people need, but the idea to be is unabashed bull****. So the question I'm asking is...

Do we need musical education in public schools?