Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to Writing Sh*tty Lyrics
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
[*]Go for the obligatory political shout. There's nothing audiences love more than a self-righteous declaration of radical liberalism. Better yet, provoke the audience by attacking an otherwise normal practice for most, like eating meat. They'll appreciate you all the more for your courage to call them assholes.
This is my favorite technique to use of all the ones you mentioned. Remember, lucifer_sam, not all writers *want* the audience to like what they hear. This simply may not be the writer's goal.

For example, when I write songs about animal exploitation, I am trying to hold up a mirror to show people what I see them doing. They may not agree with my view, because it isn't a palatable one, or they may see the issue in a different way...though, really, how many different viewpoints are there on an action such as someone picking up a baby pig and bashing its head against the concrete floor? I would be surprised if the combination of criticism and revulsion of "normal practices" I describe in my songs didn't cause distaste in the listener.

What you describe in your post is what I love about art: I am free to express what I want to, and you are free to hate it, dismiss it, think about it, or like it as you will.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote