Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Education in Public Schools
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
The quality we get in our schools is definitely worth the effort. Like I said, at a primary school level music classes have nothing to do with music appreciation or music history. The classes involve learning very basic music theory (different lengths of notes and beats etc), and involve activities like singing, clapping and dancing. The younger grades often get involved in playing various percussion instruments while grades 3-6 often partake in learning the recorder and performing various pieces in front of school assembly etc. The music education I've seen at the primary schools I've been in has been fantastic - I've seen it benefit children from their cognitive development right through to their self-confidence and attitude towards school.

Like I said though, at a high school level I think the debate about music education is completely different and I don't think it should be a compulsory subject for grades 7 - 12, but rather an elective.

That being said, I can only really speak for Australia and New Zealand and have no idea what music education is like anywhere else in the world. Our music education is definitely at a standard that is beneficial to students of grades prep to 6.
That's exactly how it is here in Canada.

Also, I don't think I mentioned this in my previous post, but the music teachers (at all grade levels) need to be entertaining and good at what they do. The teacher I had in elementary school was amazing - she made everything fun, even while she was teaching the basic history, by making her lessons into games. Compare that with my music teacher in middle school (grade 7-8). He knew his stuff, but was not good at conveying the information in a way that we would understand. He was also a terrible band conductor...
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote