Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #2276 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

I just finished up Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters and I have to say, of the 6 Palahniuk books I've read it's the next best to Fight Club.

Just started Transpotting last night...holy hell is this gonna be tough, not sure if I can make it through 300+ pages of this Scottish slang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
Haha I remember reading the first page as I was walking to the counter at the bookstore and thinking "oh god what am I getting myself into..." If you're unfamiliar with the terminology some of the newer editions have a glossary in the back, however I like the one in the picture I posted because it fits perfectly in the breast pocket of one of my winter jackets.
Thanks for the tip! I just checked and the copy I have (pictured) has the glossary. This should be quite helpful. As you said in a later part of your post, it definitely helps to read it with a Scottish accent in mind, and really you can't help but do so. I read Layer Cake last summer and was reading with a British accent in mind from the first page. You just can't read slang without the accent, otherwise you're asking yourself what the hell every other word means. The accent helps translate the words into real words.