Music Banter - View Single Post - Artists I Refuse To Like ....EVER
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #421 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
You don't even have an appreciation for NOFX? Well I guess it's pointless to argue with an Englishman in his 30s about punk, I should know better.

I'm just not into old school "original" punk, with a few exceptions. Maybe one day I'll get into that stuff, but it won't affect my taste for more poppy punk. And don't get me wrong, there are plenty of mainstream pop punk bands I hate, so please let's not assume I'm a fan of Sum41, Good Charlotte, Fall Out Boy, Avril, and all that shyte. I'm talking about 90s California street/skater punk bands like Pennywise, Lagwagon, etc. basically the Fat Wreck/Epitaph stuff. But hey...we can agree to disagree. I grew up with a lot of that stuff and I like it. And Dookie was a fine album, albeit much more mainstream than the other stuff I liked so of course more people know about it and will diss it if they're not into the style. And again, I make no excuses for post-Dookie Green Day...I never liked them beyond that album but I also don't hate them, I just ignore them.
No I don't like NOFX either. I have given them a chance but apart from Spitting In My Eye, they just don't do anything for me. My reasons for disliking this sort of sound is not soley based on growing up on early U.K Punk. I also got into the N.Y Hardcore scene in the late 80's listening to stuff like Agnostic Front, Crumbsuckers, Cro-Mags etc as well as crossover stuf like D.R.I, Corrosion Of Conformity etc. So 90's 'Pop Punk' just doesn't get me going at all. I find that it lacks energy and enthusiasm but I know that many people were into Green Day, Offspring and Lagwagon etc in their youth and it's only right to love the bands that you grew up with.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote