Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #617 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

A couple of mixes I've been meaning to do for quite some time now...

A Beginner's Guide To Brian Dougans & Garry Cobain

Another one dedicated to some of my very favourite artists. To give anyone who's not in the loop a nice, brief bit of back story, Brian Dougans and Garry Cobain are a couple of Mancunian DJs who emerged from the acid house scene of te late 80s and early 90s as one of the big success stories, scoring early dancefloor smashes in the shape of Papua New Guinea and Stakker. From their beginnings in acid house though, instead of sticking with that proven success formula, the duo not only began to delve into more left-of-centre IDM territory, utilising elements of ambient, trip-hop, progressive house and even jazz and psychedelia, but they also began to record and independtly release an absolutely insane amount of EPs and LPs under a confusingly large variety of pseudonyms. The pair have released work over the years under literally dozens of monikers, so the mixes below really are the tip of the iceberg here, seeing as the majority of their work is only available on their official website.

Anyway, the below mixes are the best of the stuff I've got which, as you can see, is more than enough albums to keep a fan occupied for a bit. Hopefully anyone who hasn't heard any of this stuff before (a couple of the tunes were on the electronica mixes I made a little while back) will be curious enough to sample these, as Cobain and Dougans are definitely two of the most talented composers in electronic music. Basically, the first mix represents their more urban, house-influenced (to varying degress) side, while the Amorphous Androgynous one explores psychedelic electronica, and does a pretty damn fine job of it too.

Enough rambling anyway. Pics are the links, and I've hotlinked a couple of tracks from either mix to their respective youtube clips if anyone wants a quick, pre-download listen.

The Future Sound Of London

1. Womb ISDN Show
2. We Have Explosive Dead Cities
3. Expander Accelerator
4. Elysian Feels The Isness
5. Eggshells Lifeforms
6. High Tide On the Sea Of Flesh The Isness
7. Vertical Pig Lifeforms
8. Psycho Crab ISDN Show
9. First Death In the Family Dead Cities
10. Papua New Guinea Accelerator
*11. Stakker [EP release by Humanoid]

The Amorphous Androgynous

1. Tiny Space Birds The Peppermint Tree and the Seeds Of Superconsciousness
2. Seasons Turn Alice In Ultraland
3. High and Dry Alice In Ultraland
4. Yo Yo The Otherness
5. Opus Of the Black Sun The Peppermint Tree and the Seeds Of Superconsciousness
6. Lover's Love Is the Lover The Otherness
7. Swab Tales Of Ephidrina
8. In Mind Tales Of Ephidrina
9. Riders (On the Circadian Rhythms) The Peppermint Tree and the Seeds Of Superconsciousness
10. Another Fairy Tale Ending Alice In Ultraland
*11. An Odd Question From a Forest Bird [from 'the Woodlands Of Old' by Yage]
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote