Music Banter - View Single Post - Flower Child's
Thread: Flower Child's
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #140 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

SONG: Blue Drag
ARTIST: New Orleans Jazz Vipers
ALBUM: New Orleans Jazz Vipers

Listen to Blue Drag Last.fm

One of my new loves. And strictly for one reason and one reason only- that opening jazz bit. I could care less about the singer because his voice is pretty mediocre to be honest, and the lyrics- who gives a damn, thats not what its about. But those saxophone bits at the beginning and scattered about the song are nothing short of genius, swanky, works of art. It really is just smoldering with attitude and class. I like New Orleans jazz but I get so sick of those happy peppy marching type songs that fail to really get down and get dirty like this one so wonderfully does. If anyone could suggest me anymore like this I would be forever in debt.

SONG: Ramblin' Man
ARTIST: Hank Williams Jr.
ALBUM: Rowdy

Hank Jr. did his own version of his fathers song and I have to say, I really like it. It has this wonderful tumbleweed-blowing-across-a-street-in-ghost-town beginning that really sets a great atmosphere for the song. One of the reasons I don't really listen to Hank Jr. as much as say Willie Nelson or Waylon Jennings is because I usually think the lyrics and thought behind his songs are stupid, but since he didn't write this song, that solves that problem. He does have a great strong voice and he is a little adventurous in this one and does the old fashion fluctuating like his dad did and I think it floats around works so well with this song. Nice little jazz bit in there too that is pretty out of Hank's character that I really like. And it has some great empty old sounding acoustic guitars twanging around here and there. After I play this song, I swear I feel I could duel Jesse James and beat him.

Last edited by Flower Child; 02-04-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote