Music Banter - View Single Post - Dieselboy? Who's Dieselboy?!'s Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #46 (permalink)
Dieselboy
Music Addict

RJD2 - The Colossus
(Released Jan 19th, 2010)

So this is RJD2's fourth proper album. Before its hit shelves even, the hype surrounding The Colossus was immense. The comparisons to his legendary debut Deadringer were inescapable for anyone reading up on this album pre-release, and even had my own hopes quite high. After getting over the initial excitement and listening to it many times in the previous weeks though, I think I can safely say that it doesn't quite reach that level. That doesn't however, stop it from being great on its own merits.

A brilliant clash of two styles, this album is about half sample-heavy instrumentals with quite a few more-traditional sounding tunes, with guest singers, mixed in between. Toss in a sick rap tune (A Son's Cycle) and a simple nod that Deadringer fans will recognize right away (Salud 2), and the whole thing feels incredibly epic. Even colossal you might say. 0_0

Overall, The Colossus is a very upbeat sounding record. You'll see a perfect example of this with the incredible instrumental opener, which is just choke-full of sampling, Let There Be Horns.

As stated before, there is also plenty of guest singers featured on songs throughout. Some reviews I read weren't pleased with the inclusion of these, but I couldn't disagree more, and think they really add something major to this album. The Glow is incredibly bright and sunny sounding (duh) with some very happy vocals...it sounds like it could very easily be the theme song for a show like Scrubs with its lighthearted sound. Perhaps my favorite song in this category though is The Shining Path (feat. Phonte Coleman). What sounds like a vibraphone plays along beautifuly with some acoustic guitar and drums, accompanied by Coleman's amazing uplifting vocal style.

Finally, I have to give a link to the song called A Son's Cycle, with its three-man weave of The Catalyst, Illogic & NP. Sounding quietly happy with its instruments, but aggressive at the same time with its vocal delivery, this is my personal top track on here. Nothing else on The Colossus fits into this style, and it is placed perfectly in the near middle of the album. Lyrics like, "I know you be sleepin if you don't feel me...You gotta be sleepin if you don't feel me" are perhaps RJD2's message to everyone who hasn't heard his work or this album yet.

Brilliant album as a whole. Definitely worth checking out if any of the songs above sounded interesting. Don't sleep.

Tracklist:

1. Let There Be Horns
2. Games You Can Win (Feat. Kenna)
3. Giant Squid
4. Salud 2
5. The Glow
6. A Spaceship For Now
7. The Shining Path (Feat. Phonte Coleman)
8. Crumbs Off The Table (Feat. Aaron Livingston)
9. A Son's Cycle (Feat. The Catalyst, Illogic & NP)
10. Tin Flower
11. Small Plans
12. Gypsy Caravan
13. The Stranger
14. Walk With Me

Last edited by Dieselboy; 02-05-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote