Music Banter - View Single Post - Foobar2000 - Support and Discussions
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by storymilo View Post
So this is my foobar so far... not much at all. There are two things I'm wondering right now; how is it you make the column of artists on the side, and not at the top like this? And, is there a section to make playlists?
It looks like you have UI Columns installed, so then all you have to do is set up your panels right. Go to preferences -> Display -> Columns UI and press the "Layout" tab.

I'm guessing you've played around there already - you have some filter panels put up. Just play around with it and you should get an idea how it works. At the most basic, just think of your foobar as a canvas you're going to fill with panels and each panel contains one thing, for example album art or a playlist. There are two main kinds of splitters you should know. Splitters can "contain" other panels and are used to organize them.

If you have a horisontal splitter, adding panels into it will align them horisontally. New panels will be added to the right of the one you added last. In a vertical splitter, they will be aligned vertically.

To add a panel, splitter or whatever, just right click and choose "insert panel".

The basic setup I'm using has First one horisontal splitter, then three vertical splitters underneath it in the hierarchy dividing the screen up into 3 horisontally split parts. Library tree, playlist view and album art/info/bio.

At it's most basic, my setup looks like this :
  • Horisontal Splitter
    • Vertical Splitter
    • Vertical Splitter
    • Vertical Splitter

That gives 3 empty sections split horisontally. Then I've basically just populated those vertical splitter panels with more panels like artwork view, track mod info, NG Playlist, library tree and more.

As for playlists, I'm still a little puzzled by them myself. They're not quite as intuitive as they were in Winamp .. I installed "foo_queuecontent" which gives me a playlist called Queue that I can view the playback queue in. It's almost like your typical Winamp or whatever playlist except songs disappear from it once they start playing as it's actually a queue and not a playlist.

Read about it / Get it here

However, I'm also looking for some better solutions to this. I'd actually quite like a plugin which has similar functionality to Winamp's. It's the feature I miss the most at the moment.

Unless some of you are unfamiliar, it's just a list of songs and it goes down the list, playing one song after the other. If you want, you can set up a playback queue inside the playlist by marking a song and pressing the Q button. A song's place in the queue shows as [#], # being a number indicating it's place in the queue (in the pic, first Jessica, then Ramblin' Man, then Melissa). When no more songs are queued, it just resumes going down the list .. unless shuffle is on. Then it'll jump around the list at random.

It's such a simple design, there has to be a component out there which supports this? Anyways, I've been a bit busy with other things but I'm definetly gonna look for one. If I find it, I'll let you know.