Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #63 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I think it's more a matter of survival that has escalated into something far more in the face of demand and efficiency. Realistically, we could all still live our lives hunting on our own terms, or even choosing to eat vegetables... but mass farming and manufacturing applies to both meat and fruit/vegetables and it's undeniably necessary in context with our nation's needs. The entire nation (whichever you belong to) can't support itself independently because we'd all be spilling over into eachother's land and decimating any animal/crop population that found itself in our sights.
While not agreeable of the state in which we employ animal farming, it's rather unrealistic to think that we could just replace meat farming with vegetable farming and live happily ever after.
The push for change needs to happen with the methods at which we farm meat and the treatment we give in those scenarios.

I just don't think we should all give up meat as a society and start living on vegetables just because we don't think it's "nice" to be on the top of a food chain. Yea, maybe we could lessen the extent of our influence, but just moving aside is only going to give the position to something else.
I pretty much agree with this. I was playing devil's advocate with my previous one.

Ultimately I doubt that I will ever change my meat-eating behaviour. Ideally humans would either have a more natural system of farming and/or hunt. That won't happen because there are too many people, which is a problem all in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Tell that to every meat-eating animal that lives in the wild.
For most animals the reproductive act is essentially rape. Clearly we shouldn't act the way we do just because they do as well.
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote