Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #37 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

@numbernine: Sure, Lord knows nobody else is gonna give a shit...

Ok so you may or may not know this but we have a similar language situation in the Balkans, there are 4 nations/countries where people understand each other perfectly well (with slight variations in accent): Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia and Bosnia. That's why in the olden days when we were all a part of the same country (Yugoslavia, you young'ns may not have heard of it) it was called serbo-croatian. Then all the bad shit happened in the 90s and we became very touchy about distinguishing them and proving they're VERY VERY DIFFERENT AND SEPARATE! Edit: Oh yeah, and we write phonetically so as soon as you know the alphabet you know how to spell. (:

Anyhow, my likes: Absolute freedom of press (excluding promoting violence or hatred etc), which I think a lot of people take for granted.
I like the coastline, it's very diverse and well, without sounding too patriotic, beautiful. Especially in the south.
Oh and I like it's location, it's very close to all the European cultural centers, for example, Venice is like an hour and a half away from the city I live in. Vienna, Bologna, Budapest and Munchen are like 5 hours, which is still manageable.
Also, this may sound weird, but compared to some other nations, we're not an "ugly" nation. Plenty of beautiful men and women walking around.

Dislikes: The people. General mentality is still fairly conservative, but the proximity of the European union is slowly changing that, at least in terms of legal rights and stuff (for example, homosexuality has been decriminalized in the 70s, similarly to other western nations and we even have some limited domestic partnership rights. Still a long way away from marriage and adoption rights).
Artistically, we're probably the least talented of the ex-Yugoslav nations. Seriously, there hasn't been a good film produced in this country for....well I don't think we ever made any good films! In comparison, Serbia and/or Bosnia have Kusturica, Makavejev and Denis Tanović (who won the Oscar for No man's land). It's similar with music, especially contemporary and alternative music. I feel sick when I think a nation like Iceland, which has like 300 thousand people has produced a fair number of internationally recognized artists. I don't think that's ever gonna happen here.

We make up for it by being good at sports I suppose, like football, tennis, handball and waterpolo (yes, that's a sport). We used to be good at basketball too (silver at the Barcelona Olympics) but that's gone down the shithole ever since.

So there. (:

Last.fm

Last edited by adidasss; 02-07-2010 at 11:45 AM.
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote