Music Banter - View Single Post - my bassist doesn't get it
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
bandteacher1
Le professeur de musique

While it is an interesting choice of words, I get what you're saying. I pressume that you're in love with a girl (or were) who is taken. Music is an expression of the composer(s) and of the musician(s). It's a very careful balance, that any number of things can tip one way or the other. Just because your bassist doesn't like the lyric or even your entire band, it doesn't mean that the lyric should go into file 13. My advice, if the song as a whole expresses what you want it to, LEAVE IT!

Oh, and try some of this:
  • Talk to your bassist. Tell him that his comments get under your skin. If he's truely your friend, and comrade in music, he'll understand. If not, well then, I suppose you'll be having auditions for a new bassist.
  • Don't be afraid to stand your ground if you need to!
  • Don't make any bluffs you aren't prepared to keep.
  • Consider making revisions to the music. Different opinions produce melody and harmony, both very important parts of music.
  • If you like how it is, use it. Perhaps maybe not with the full band, but as a solo, or even you and the drummer or something like that.
  • And finally, good friends are hard to come by. Respect is even harder to earn. I wouldn't let the situation erupt so that you end up loossing a friend of yours. You never really know what's gone until it's gone.
Home of the Firebird Marching Band
cvrhsmusic@yahoo.com

Quote:
Music is expression
bandteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote