Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Cymbals for their price. oppinions
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
i like broken cymbals too! stack'em up, i say! what a lot of people don't know about wuhan though is that they aren't finished cymbals. there are a number of steps to making a cymbal, and wuhan will say openly that their cymbals are three steps away from completion. this means they will break. if you strike your cymbals rather than glancing them you will find this happens faster. proper cymbal technique will lengthen the life of any cymbal considerably.

and for elephantsack: HHX are great cymbals by anyone's standards. they look good and sound even better. they are loud for their thickness and project reasonably well. the problem is that they are quite thin. this means they are susceptible to breakage, and in the larger ones (say, a 20inch crash) they will even warp just from sitting on a stand, not being played, but leaning slightly to one side. i LOVE them though. i would recommend something more along the lines of the RUDE series by paiste if your into the whole "violent" technique though. (<i only say that cuz you mentioned how many cymbals you're going through!!!)
I don't see how my Wuhan china would ever break... it's so loud I wouldn't hit it hard if I could.
It cuts through a full stage of gear with ease.

Also, they should be played flipped so that the edge is facing downward and opposite the striking surface to extend the life of the cymbal.