Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #121 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Ranked as follows:

#1 Tobasco sauce (and all its different flavors, but the original is the best)
#2 "Louisiana" brand hot sauce (The one with the red dot)
#3-thru-idon'tcare: Everything else.

Tobasco has a long tradition here as being the most popular and most used hot sauce in and around Louisiana. It's made in Avery Island (About 5 or 6 miles away from my house) and even the salt used in the sauce is mined there and the peppers are grown there.

If you haven't tasted it, it's got a lot more kick than typical Louisiana or Crystal hot sauce. It's not as viscous, and has a more tangy flavor (original flavor).
Anyway, it's far better on a larger variety of food than the type of hot sauce you like... although I like that type as well, I just have certain applications for it. Tobasco serves nearly all my needs though.
My favorite hot sauces are Cystal, and McIlhenny Co. they have a distinct flavors from each other, I'm a little bias towards them because they come from LA, it's all a matter of opinion but I haven't yet come across a hot sauce better than those that come from Louisiana. I use Hot Sauce on all kind of foods: Chinese (chicken lo mein), Italian (pizza), Mexican (quesadillas) - it's a universal sauce! Just for the heck of it I looked up the SHU for the hot sauces mentioned.

Hot Sauces rated by Scoville Heat Units
Original Tabasco Pepper Sauce, from McIlhenny Co. 2,500 - 5,000 SHU
Frank's RedHot XTRA Hot: 2,085 SHU
Texas Pete: 747 - 1,000 SHU
Frank's RedHot Original: 450 - 900 SHU
Crystal: 400 - 800 SHU (2,000 - 4,000 SHU - I had two different sources with two totally different ratings but I think it's 400-800 because it's a mild hot sauce.)
Original Louisiana Hot Suace (red dot) n/a - I couldn't find its SHU rating.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote