Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #122 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
My favorite hot sauces are Cystal, and McIlhenny Co. they have a distinct flavors from each other, I'm a little bias towards them because they come from LA, it's all a matter of opinion but I haven't yet come across a hot sauce better than those that come from Louisiana. I use Hot Sauce on all kind of foods: Chinese (chicken lo mein), Italian (pizza), Mexican (quesadillas) - it's a universal sauce! Just for the heck of it I looked up the SHU for the hot sauces mentioned.

Hot Sauces rated by Scoville Heat Units
Original Tabasco Pepper Sauce, from McIlhenny Co. 2,500 - 5,000 SHU
Frank's RedHot XTRA Hot: 2,085 SHU
Texas Pete: 747 - 1,000 SHU
Frank's RedHot Original: 450 - 900 SHU
Crystal: 400 - 800 SHU (2,000 - 4,000 SHU - I had two different sources with two totally different ratings but I think it's 400-800 because it's a mild hot sauce.)
Original Louisiana Hot Suace (red dot) n/a - I couldn't find its SHU rating.
Good stuff man.
Yea I wasn't really rating them in order of just hotness.
The idea behind hot-sauce isn't really how spicy it is (unless you're a novelty hotsauce person)... it's about a balance between ideal heat and good flavor so that either doesn't overpower the other, and whether the sauce is compatible with a large variety of application.

Tobasco has a good heat/flavor comparison, and the consistency of the sauce is such that it "coats" lightly and mixes easily. And it's potent enough that you don't have to use much to get the flavor.

People get the wrong idea about hot sauce when they judge it by how much their mouth is burning off. Hot sauce isn't there to torture you. It's there to enhance the flavor and heat of your food without choking the flavor of your food. So with that in mind, you use it in moderation. But using a good hot sauce allows you to do all this effectively.