Music Banter - View Single Post - Spoon - Transference
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I assume this is at least somewhat directed at me seeing as I'm the only one who has posted anything here.
It was actually for the most part pretty independent of your post.

Quote:
the catchiness of GaGa is easy to grab. But I think that there is a lot more to that album than just simple hooks and such. It's got some kind of feeling in it that I don't hear in any of their other albums/songs. Maybe it's a little bit of that dark pop that Daniels loves.
The essential genius in Daniel's songwriting, I feel, is his ability to work with so little (the band's sound is so consistent and repetitive it could almost be called bland) yet somehow defy the odds, the laws of music even, by squeezing so much out of that virtual economy of nothingness. Transference, in my opinion, shows that you can even strip away the instant gratification of the hooks and the music still manages to shine.

Quote:
I don't feel that any of it (and certainly not the new album) is nearly interesting enough to try and hear something great in there if I really, really listen as I have done with say, avant garde jazz and other experimental music.
Certainly not. I'm with you there. But I don't think anything along the lines of that sort of effort is necessary to like Transference. I'd say, three listens through.

But at any rate I'm not trying to make you like it, I'm really just putting forth my reasons for seeing it as I do.