Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #2308 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

His music is the only reason anybody who matters (we're not talking 13 year old wiggers) would like him nowadays. That style of hip-hop is long dead from the mainstream charts and the East/West thing has been over for years and years. Sure his death cemented his position as one of the hip-hop greats but if you're going to split that hair then you better be prepared to take on Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Easy E, Kurt Cobain, Mia Zappata, Janis Joplin, 2pac and about 400 others.

His music is why I nominated him because his music stands out independently of his personal life.

His was a technically talented rapper, but he was relaxed, not looking to proove anything and only used complex structures and lyricism when it fit correctly. I completely disagree with "sure some [of the lyrics] are beyond horrible but still", all rappers are hit and miss with their lyrical content because there is just so much of it, and honestly the only time Biggie ever truly "missed the mark" were on some of the more sexually explicit tracks - but even then his ability to entertain and tell stories shone through.

And I chose Gimme the Loot because it's the perfect example of his storytelling lyrics and of the loose-arc that follows both Ready to Die and Life After Death. Fun fact: The "other" rapper in the song is actually Biggie doing a voice.

Vote yes or I will do everything in my power to make your life a living hell.

Just kidding, but seriously Chris I expected better from you :P

Last edited by someonecompletelyrandom; 02-11-2010 at 06:47 PM.