Music Banter - View Single Post - Velvet Underground
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #170 (permalink)
TheCunningStunt
love will tear you apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
you are definitely not alone, but i think most who don't "get" them have a hard time imagining listening to this band when they were actually around. they really were something special then, and only sound tired at all now because so many bands have emulated them.

i think the appeal a lot of people see in the velvet underground is based on the fact that there is a lot of skill and creativity in their music that is ahead of its time. their music was written well enough to really amaze people, and it was written simply enough so that someone could feel they might be able to write music, as well. it has been noted that most people that listened to the velvet underground when they first showed up subsequently went out and started a band themselves.
People tend to use words like 'feel' 'skill' 'creativity' 'unique' when describing their music, I mean it's alright, nothing against what they did, but people seem to think of it as being something special and I just don't see it. VU & Nico is the only album I've listened to though, listened to it about 3 times and never took to it. Maybe it needs more listens or maybe it was just a sign of it's time and special back then.
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote