Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #5282 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

***1/2

I consider this the weakest of the original trilogy but it's still a classic, it's definetely the funniest, this one doesn't take itself too seriously, but not too lightly, it's still full of the expected horror and suspense. Like all of the dead movies there's satire, in many ways it is a satire of consumer culture, and the very idea of zombies walking around a shopping mall is pretty amusing, the dead series played an important role to get more people to take horror movies seriously as an art form that can reflect things about our own lives.

The most memorable character in the movie is played by iconic horror make up artist Tom Savini (this was one of the first movies he worked on), who leads the gang of clowning bikers during the film's climax. Props should also go to the eccentric soundtrack by Dario Argento and Italian prog rockers Goblin.

A good Batman movie but... Anyone who says this is better than the Burton films is objectively wrong.

The film is mostly the origin story, it's very well acted all around, Neeson is especially good as Ra's al Ghul, the Scarecrow was one of my favorite Batman villians as a kid so it's cool to see him finally be represented. The visuals are great, the scenes of Gotham are beatifully shot.

The film falters however in it's action sequences, at the time Nolan obviously didn't have a clue how to do an action scene, for some reason he thought it was a good idea to constantly give shaky, fastly edited, extreme closeups of Batman during fight scenes and it makes the action near impossible to follow.

Thankfully Nolan picked up on these criticisms and got it right with The Dark Knight.

***1/2

This is how you make a sequel, Columbia made a lot of money from the first film and they spared now expense for the sequel, just about everything here is an improvement, the special effects are better, the action is more creative and exciting and Dr. Octopus is a more interesting villian than The Green Goblin was.

What makes a good superhero movie is when the filmmakers take the time to focus on the characters and the setting instead of being non stop action that can grow tiring when there's nothing to suck you into the story, this was a necessary sequel if there ever was one, the characters are better developed and it continues the story in a very natural way. Raimi has always had a comic book flaire so he was the perfect guy for the job, and I think McGuire is excellent as Spiderman, I'm always more interesting in the dorky superheros than the Chuck Norris style badasses.

I still haven't seen 3, but I don't see how it was so bad that they have to do a reboot of this franchise ALREADY, it's the most retarded idea ever in my opinion.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 02-13-2010 at 11:38 AM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote