Music Banter - View Single Post - Dieselboy? Who's Dieselboy?!'s Journal
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #54 (permalink)
Dieselboy
Music Addict

Another DnB update today...this time from a 3-man outfit out of the Netherlands. This group, called Noisia, has only been on my radar for a couple years, but since they have a full-length release on the horizon which is sure to be massive, I figure this would be a good time to bring them up. Labeled as Drum and Bass, but containing strong elements of breakbeat, electro, and many other sounds throughout, pinning them down is nearly impossible as you will see. Admitting themselves that their influences range from The Prodigy all the way to Miles Davis, their music is perfect to dance to, while being smart enough to be an enjoyable listen even while you're alone.

They have released a slew of singles up to this point, starting with The Tide in 2005. Sounding just a little dated now, it did receive many honors as a single, including the 4th spot on the Knowledge Mag Top 20 Tunes of the Decade.

A few years later, in 2008, they mixed the 40th edition in the Fabriclive series, which turned out to be a standout in this series with its filthy/dark dnb and breaks. The highlight of this mix though, was a song called Diplodocus, by...you guessed it...Noisia themselves. With its gross rolling-bass sounds and effects, alongside a child continuously asking "Diplodocus?!", this is a great example of a tune that would do well to keep your feet moving on the floor or just your head nodding as you listen on your mp3 player.

More recently still, in this past year, they contributed one of their tracks called Groundhog, to the DJ Hero soundtrack. An absolute nightmare to anyone who has played this game, Groundhog features a chaotic storm of crossfading, feedback, and effects that leave DJ wannabees with tired arms and sweaty brows. I myself would absolutely love to punch the old british man who taunts the player throughout this song. Again though, another example of something that sounds amazing no matter what you're doing at the time.

I have to go play some DJ Hero now after listening to Groundhog, but of course there's one more thing that needs mentioning. The entire reason for making this post was inform people that Noisia's first full length album will be released on April 6th of this year. It's called Split the Atom and expectations are indeed high. I personally would not be surprised to see this near the top of DnB, as well as general electronica lists at years end. Featuring collaborations with the likes of Amon Tobin and Foreign Beggars, it also will be showcasing songs like Diplodocus (discussed above), as well as their newest single, which is just lethal.

god DAMN!
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote