Music Banter - View Single Post - Harry Potter vs Twilight
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #84 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafkaandcoffee View Post
i once read this amazing book review about twilight on active voice and she completely trashed it. saying how it was a dull book that in basic was some bland girls florid (yes florid) musings and poutings about a vampire who was out of her league.

she also said
"Twilight has another issue that so overshadows those already mentioned that it renders them almost negligible: It reads like a do-it-yourself guide to abusive relationships.

I’m serious. Edward is moody, violent, prone to anger, jealous, and justifies any poor behavior towards Bella with excuses like 'It’s just because I love you' and 'It’s what’s best for you.'"
That doesn't surprise me at all to be honest. I live in a town that has a large Mormon population (the religion of the author) and whenever I've been in one of their houses I always got this feeling of female complacency. Very old fashioned, woman cooks, woman cleans, so it doesn't really surprise me that this mentality would show up in her writing. It use to make me wonder what a Mormon family was like behind closed doors, all that niceness isn't healthy and I wonder if some of things the reviewer described about Edward's mannerisms reflect what the author saw as a child.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote