Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #159 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

The Hollies - Evolution
(1967)

Tracks

1 Carrie-Anne 2:55
2 Stop Right There 2:23
3 Rain on the Window 3:10
4 Then the Heartaches Begin 2:44
5 Ye Olde Toffee Shoppe 2:17
6 You Need Love 2:28
7 Heading for a Fall 2:17
8 Games We Play 2:46
9 Lullaby to Tim 3:00
10 Have You Ever Loved Somebody 2:57
11 When Your Lights Turned On 2:31
12 Water on the Brain 2:22
13 Jennifer Eccles 2:44
14 Signs That Will Never Change 2:29
15 Open Up Your Eyes 2:49

Once upon a time, there were three big bands who ruled the airwaves in the UK in the 1960’s. One was a band from London who frightened parents, this group of degenerates were known as The Rolling Stones. There was also a band from Liverpool called The Beatles who did quite well. But there was another, a five piece originating from my hometown of Salford, near Manchester, whose use of harmonies, melody and hooks would make them a match for any band from their day, I am of course referring to The Hollies.

However, time has been cruel, The Hollies for whatever reason have now faded away from memory somewhat over recent years. Lack of mentions in the NME and a sorry list of revival tours and albums, have probably put to bed any hope that The Hollies will ever be considered hip enough to gain back their rightful place alongside more illustrious names. Truth be told, when you think of The Hollies, you either remember your initial surprise when you were first told Graham Nash was once in the band, or likelier, you remember how your Gran used to play them an awful lot when you were growing up.

But maybe the tide is finally turning, yes for The Hollies have two albums now reissued on the marvellously hallowed Sundazed Records, one of which I want to share with you today. Originally released in 1967, Evolution by The Hollies marked a noticeable directional shift for the band. Being 1967, The Hollies would have been lagging slightly behind if they had maintained the nicey nicey approach of previous records. Instead, on this release they have embraced the Psychedelic nature of the time but still managed to stay true to their roots, which has ensured that this album is easily one of the most accessible Psychedelic records from the period.

Of course the strength of this album, as was the strength of the band through the sixties really, was the duo of Graham Nash and Allan Clarke. These two could literally make people’s hairs stand on end at the first hint of a note to come from their mouths. But also with key hook contributions coming from Tony Hicks' guitar, The Hollies could seriously write a quality tune or two, and guess what? This album has several.

Obviously songs like Carrie Anne and Jennifer Eccles could be described as your standard Hollies’ fare, but aside from these brilliant pop songs, there is some quality Psychedelia on here and the odd toe dip into Freakbeat too, there is even a time when Baroque is called upon in places. I somehow doubt this was the album my Gran played to me as a child that’s for sure! And with a front cover designed by Apple Boutique’s very own shopkeepers, The Fool, you could describe this album as one of the essentials of 1967.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote