Music Banter - View Single Post - Thoughts on the Zeitgeist Movement
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

I'd like to think that this movement would work, but sadly I feel like it is another one of these things that sound great on paper. In action, things would be just as bad as they are now. True, I feel like our current monetary system is ridiculous, especially with how paper money is becoming more and more obsolete. All most people have (save for the rare occasion we pull out some money from the ATM) is a card and a digital readout of their earnings. The powers that be are the ones telling us what worth that number has and what it represents. It could represent nothing. One day they could tell us it represents air, as that could be a scarce resource at some point (you never know). I think we do need something a bit more concrete than that, but I have absolutely no clue what that is. Even with some sort of "shared" resource economy there would still be some regions of the world that produce more of something everyone needs, there will still be disasters that tighten rations of a resource causing fighting amongst those regions, and war would still be as prevalent as ever. And with no competition and thus no timetable for technological and scientific advancement, war would still be the vehicle for our progress.

All in all, sure we need to change something. But humans have been living with a system of this type in one form or another for thousands of years, and it will be VERY hard to change.