Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Band of the Month
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

I would have to say for January and into February it has been Autechre (an experimental electronic music duo from Rochdale, England). I think this is partly due to the announcement of their new album, Oversteps, for March 23. Where many people can't wait for new releases and must grab a leak as soon as it's available, I utilize that time (along with keeping myself occupied with other artists) to revisit the back-catalog of said artist. Autechre is a group I've been into since the mid-late 90s I'd say, but they're a difficult one. Each album feels like a puzzle, where the task is to build melodies out of what might on the surface sound like a cold mechanical wasteland of noise. If you put it on as background music, some albums could hurt your brain pretty quickly, while others are more ambient and soothing yet still complex. So they demand a good deal of attention, and take a while to sink in. Not to mention an individual song basis, sounds build on other sounds to eventually develop into something...or sometimes not. But regardless, they make cool noises. I probably have never played any one of their albums more than 10 times each, and that's probably pushing it, 5 may be more realistic for some. So I don't know them inside and out like I would other albums by other artists, there is just so much in each album, it truly sounds very different on each listen. So waiting for a new album, which I hear is supposedly quite different and more 'obvious', is a great time to let the rest of their albums sink in a bit more. Here are some of my favorite releases, for the uninitiated willing to take a chance:

Amber, Tri Repetae, EP7, Draft 7.30

And a few awesome tracks not from those releases: