Music Banter - View Single Post - Bass level overkill rant.
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

i completely agree, daktari. bass has reached pandemic scale if you ask me. i play a bit of bass myself, but primarily the drums. i play the kick drum a lot of the time as though it were the next drum in sequence to the floor tom, and when the sound guy tweaks the mix i find often that they believe the kick is the focal point of the music.

and if you want to make music where the kick and the bass guitar are playing against each other or in between each other, the kick being out front like that can create a really warbly and crappy sound.

i also played with a bassist who was quite "notey," meaning he wanted everyone to hear everything he did and made sure his gear was set up to deliver. this is a very frustrating experience.

i don't know. i don't wanna offend anyone, but i think the bass is like a cradle that's just supposed to rock, you know? it's supposed to hold everything and give everything a stable working-ground so as everything can coalesce properly. and too much tone from the bass combined with all that volume totally takes any percussive possibility away as well, which i think is an extremely valuable asset.

too much bass... well, it sucks.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote