Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #4893 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

I already vented about this to my sister but I was so distraught about this I need to vent some more (and possibly get some more objective views).

I have a colleague who sits right across from me in the office. She's a friend of my sister from highschool. I remembered her as a funny and laid back person, and she still is very funny but her behavior in the office really and truly confounds me. For some reason unbeknownst to me, whenever we talk about anything related to the job, she assumes (to me at least) a completely unnecessarily businesslike and strict demeanor.

For example, and this really threw me off today, I asked her if she could please pass me the stapler, which was in her desk drawer. To which she replied "you can get up and get it yourself". At first, I thought she was joking so I sorta half smiled expecting her to start giggling. But she just kept looking at me with a totally serious face. What...the fuck. So ok, I got up and got it.

The other day I asked her if she could turn down the heating (because she was closer) and she looked confused but got up and shut it off, but not before noting that I could "get up and turn in off myself, you know". Which I though was a little odd and rude but let it pass.

And then today, she does the same thing, only outright refuses to DO ME A SLIGHT FAVOUR.

Ok, so in theory this is not a big deal but...I feel like it's completely unnecessary and quite frankly, hostile.

I guess she saw how surprised I was by her refusal so 5 minutes later she goes on to say that "I should learn to be more independent and if I need anything I should get it myself." She added that she's not saying it out of malice but giving honest and helpful advice.

Ok. What? Where...on God's holy earth...is the problem in doing slight favours for someone? If anyone ever asks me to do something which I can do easier that the other party, I will fucking do it, ESPECIALLY if it requires MINIMUM FUCKING EFFORT.

Now, this was supposed to be a person whom I've known from before and would therefore smooth my transition into the new work environment and help me in any way she could. At least that was my assumption and what I would have done my best to do if the situation was reversed.

Obviously, this and other similar, seemingly insignificant but to me, very telling situations have TOTALLY put me off the idea of ever coming to her for help about any serious issue (LET ALONE TO ASK HER INSIGNIFICANT LITTLE GODDAMN FAVOURS).

What is your verdict? How would you react to something like this and what would you deduce (if anything) about her character?

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote